Monday, July 23, 2012

I rose to The Dark Knight Rises


The Dark Knight Rises was much awaited movie of this year and being a Christopher Nolan fan, I was eagerly waiting for this movie since the last two months.  I booked my tickets as soon as bookings opened on Wednesday.  I reached the multiplex early, picked up popcorn and settled down to feel the thrill.  Let me put a disclaimer.  After watching The Dark Knight, I had very high expectations form the movie and trailers of The Dark Knight Rises (TDKR) also paved way to the lots of excitement and high expectations.

Well, movie started with a brilliant sequence of Bane (antagonist) getting escaped through a plane jacking and towing.  This scene was very well executed and eye catchy.  Now that the tone of movie was set, adrenaline started rushing to my body too :)

I must say that Bane has been shown very menacing, both mentally and physically.  He is shown in the movie as a person without any emotions.  He occupied lots of screen space in the movie (either through dialogues or visuals).  The built up with Bane coming over to Gotham and Wayne living a secluded life was good.  However, I didn’t like the feeble end of Bane in the movie considering that he was the meanest character.  I was expecting more faceoff of Bane with Batman.

Even though visuals and special effects were brilliant, somewhere in the middle I felt like I am not watching Nolan’s movie.  I could have watched all these action sequences in any other movie.  But one has to be foolish to doubt the sensibilities and creativity of Christopher Nolan.  He surprised and shook me with the suspense and twist in the plot.  The ending, as usual, has been in a way that leaves scope for sequels :).  Yeah I know that this was the last one by Nolan and even Bale has declared it as his last Batman movie.

No review of the movie can be complete without a mention of Christian Bale.  His character as Bruce Wayne goes through lots of emotions and Bale was able to emote them on screen with finesse.  His portrayal of pain, grief, anger and romance was as smooth as silk.  His gadgets were more or less similar except new Batmobile, which is actually an aircraft (I found it heavily inspired from the one in Spider Man).  I didn’t find it anything out of the world.  I realized in TDKR, Batman was trying a lot to brand himself.  There were number of scenes where Batman is showcasing to people of Gotham city about his arrival.  I found it little odd considering that Batman generally completes his work in background and disappears.  On the contrary, it might have been required in the context of movie.  With people of Gotham losing hope and having branded Batman as criminal in The Dark Knight, he had to return with a bang.

The introduction of Marion Cotillard as Miranda Tate was good.  The portrayal of Selina Kyle (Catwoman!) was pleasing and smooth.  Rest of the cast; Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman and Joseph Gordon; was decent.

One of the best scenes in the movie is prison under well.  I liked the way Bane explains why it is the most dreaded prison in world.  You can see the sky and live in a hope of getting escaped but for that you need to climb up the well.  Having the hope and still not able to escape makes this the most dreaded prison in the world. 

For the first time I saw a movie in cinema hall with substitles.  I found it a big letdown as it distracted me from the action sequence.  All in all it is a good one time watch.  I still like the second movie of the series the best.  I will wait for collector edition of this series to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment