Wednesday, September 19, 2012

India Unbound by Gurcharan Das

Image Source:  Wiki
Just finished reading India Unbound by much acclaimed writer, Gurcharan Das (former P&G India head).  This is my second book by him.  I have started appreciating his style of writing, which is very simple and is in first person narrative, which makes the reading interesting.  He definitely is one of the storytellers whom I would pay to listen.
In this book, he walks you through the economic analysis and policy evolution in India since independence.  He also analyzes the various factors which impacted the economic policies and their effect on Indian growth.  I appreciate his in-depth research on how various economists analyzed the Indian economy and political situation.  I specifically liked the part where he explained about why India's share in world trade went down from 25% in 1750 to less than 1 percent in 1980s.  However, I felt that most of his solutions lean too much towards capitalistic approach to develop the market and economy.  I found him neutral and sympathetic to Nehru and his policies but very critical to Indira Gandhi's policies.  
Overall a good read if you want an overview of India's economic history.  Das has also posed some questions in the book for which we have to find answers ourselves as a society.

Now onto another book!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment